Those of you that have been following my blog for the past few months, will know that I have a peanut butter problem. A fairly serious one, that involves me going to the peanut butter cupboard (yes, it has its own cupboard :-)) on a regular basis to eat it from the jar. I can’t quite believe that when I was younger, I hated the stuff 😀 Anyway, as it turns out, I have another problem. A lemon curd problem. If you haven’t seen my recipe for microwave lemon curd, have a look here. It’s so easy and once you’ve made your own once, there’s no going back! I have big plans this year for making other fruit curds, such as orange, lime and passionfruit. I shall of course, include the recipes on the blog 🙂
Today’s recipe uses lemon curd to great effect. It’s my basic cupcake recipe, jazzed up with the use of lots of lemon flavour. The finished cake is soft and tastes sharp and sweet at the same time. This mainly due to the addition of some lemon curd to the cake batter, which adds greatly to the lemon flavour and the moistness of the finished cake. I finished off the cupcakes with a lemon glaze. This had the added bonus of meaning there was no wasted fruit, as I used the lemon zest in the cake batter and the juice for the glaze.
Ingredients (makes 10-12 cupcakes):
- 6oz soft margarine
- 6oz caster sugar
- 6oz self-raising flour (or plain/all-purpose flour)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder (or 2 1/2 tsp if using plain flour)
- 3 eggs
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp lemon curd (+ 6 tsp extra)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Icing sugar (confectioners sugar) – enough to make a thick (but pourable) glaze
- Preheat oven to Gas 5/190C. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with cupcake cases.
- Place all ingredients (apart from the extra lemon curd) in a mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, mix together until ingredients are just combined. Don’t overmix at this stage, as it can make the finished cake dry.
- Fill the cupcake cases around 2/3 full (they will rise quite a lot). Place 1/2 tsp of lemon curd in the top of each mixture.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until golden brown and are firm to the touch. Cool on a cooling rack.
- To make the glaze; mix the lemon juice with enough icing sugar to make a thick (but spoonable) glaze. Drizzle this over the cupcakes.