I have a confession to make.
My husband John and I first came across these cookie bars on holiday in DisneyWorld in 2010. I’m embarrassed to say he’s been asking me for nearly 3 years to make them 🙂 I’ve only recently got hold of the butterscotch chips to make the proper version of these…but I’m still embarrassed 🙂
I’m thinking of these as a Valentine’s present for John, however I’m one of those people that doesn’t really ‘get’ Valentine’s Day. I know, I know. I just get slightly miffed with the overpriced cards, flowers and chocolates. Don’t wait until Valentine’s to tell someone you love them 🙂
These bars are a heady mix of a digestive biscuit (graham cracker) base, nuts, coconut, chocolate and butterscotch. They are delicious and very easy to make…prepare for your sweet tooth to be satisfied for the next week or so! Take care when baking these, when they get close to being fully baked, they can brown a little too much on top (because of the sugar in the condensed milk caramelising). Bake for 20 minutes and check, but they may need the extra 5 minutes baking time.
Ingredients (makes 16 magic cookies):
- 113g unsalted butter
- 200g digestive biscuits (graham crackers)
- 1 can condensed milk
- 150g milk chocolate chips
- 120g dessicated coconut
- 100g walnut pieces
- 150g butterstoch chips
- Grease and base line a 8inch x 8inch tin. Preheat oven to Gas 4/180C.
- Food process the digestive biscuits until they turn to fine crumbs (or bash them with a rolling pin!) Melt the butter and mix into the crumbs. Press this into the tin to make a base.
- Bake base for 5 minutes in oven and remove. Layer all the ingredients (apart from condensed milk) in any order you like! Pour condensed milk over to cover.
- Bake for around 20 minutes until set (bars will still be very squidgy)
Prepare to visit the dentist very soon after eating 🙂
Recipe adapted from MagicalRecipes.net